Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Another Week, Another Update

So...Eric is back to Atlanta today. :( I keep hoping that next time will be the time he gets to stay here for good, but I don't think it will be. This is week 7 of living in North Carolina without him, and while I'm not having trouble filling my time with activities and busy-ness, I wish I didn't have to and we could just live together already!

Rosanne & Marty were here for a visit this weekend, we did all sorts of stuff--dinner at Top of the Hill, the Tobacco Museum, went to a plantation, dinner at Nana's, and some shopping.

Top of the Hill has left our list of go-to restaurants, the service wasn't great, and the food was pretty bad. Note to restaurants where we eat: 1) Rolls should not be a) stale and b) noticeably store-bought. 2) Dense, unflavorful cake should not pretend to be a Blondie. I am a Blondie connoisseur, and will discover this. And I will not be back to your restaurant...Ever.

Nana's was great. We will definitely go back there--Eric and I both had the duck over spetzle with a sweet raisin sauce; it was out of this world delicious! In addition to Ro & Marty, our Penn State friends came too, and everyone had great food (and hopefully a great time!) I did discover that no, I sure don't like beets. Still.

The third restaurant of the weekend was Satisfaction in Durham. Bar atmosphere, but with homemade pizza and ranch dressing...by far the best pizza and best ranch I've had in years (really, best ranch since Pizza Express in Bloomington). Servers were super nice, and it was a nice low-key place to have lunch.

The weather this weekend has been utterly miserable. Poured for four straight days, and didn't get above 45 the whole time. UGH! It's about 60 now, so I'll head out for a run in a little while.

In other news, I'm officially starting my job search today. Eric and I agreed that I would apply for three positions every day until I find something. I've already identified two today, I just have to get my cover letters and resumes together to send out. We're both hoping I find something I love--I went back and forth with a love/hate relationship at my last position, and the emotional stress of the work made it really difficult to get up and actually work many days. It's never a good feeling to feel like you have to change the world, but at the same time knowing nothing you do changes the system--which is the cause of the problems in the first place. So for this round of job hunting (I like to think of it as career path #2), I've done some soul-searching to figure out what I'd like to be doing. This will hopefully provide me (and Eric) with a true work-life balance, and provide me with a much broader base for the work I do--thus lessening the stress load carried, and renewing my love of law and problem solving. So now: need to find a job!

Otherwise, Happy St. Patrick's day! A week from today I'll be another year older (and wiser, thanks to everything we've been through in the last year!) Eric's next visit will be the weekend after my birthday, so 10 sleeps from now. I suppose I'll head out for a run now!

No comments:

Post a Comment