Saturday, March 7, 2009

Next Race

Wow, most of my posts have been about running today. Guess that's what's on my mind :)

I printed the application for my next race today. Read the scary/funny disclaimer, and thought I should post it. Probably not for your peace of mind, and probably not to encourage anyone reading to actually come out to the race (except Eric, my aid station!) Here goes...

Waiver and Release
I realize June in North Carolina is hot and humid. Most people and doctors advise against running in heat and humidity. Also, running at night presents special problems such as seeing where you are stepping and watching out for cars. (so far, not bad. here comes the 'uhoh what have i done' part...) I understand that this area has specific hazards such as rattlesnakes, copperheads, polecats, wildcats, and rednecks who like to drink and drive and throw things. (yikes...!) I know that 26 miles can be tough under any conditions but with the possible conditions in this event 26 miles could turn out to be much more of a challenge than I expected. Nevertheless, I like to struggle and really, really want to participate regardless of the expected pain or risk.

(here's the legal mumbo-jumbo part) Therefore, I want everyone to know that I am not being forced to do this event and I agree for myself and any survivors or possible claimants that I may leave behind, to save, release, and keep harmless the Mangum Track Club, its members, the Runners From Hell and any volunteers or sponsors or any other helpers that may be involved with this event from all liability, claims, or demands for damages incurred by participation in this event or any of its parts.

(some more fun...) I assume all responsibility for my participation and certify that I am properly trained, mentally fit, and medically able to participate in this hot, hilly, and possibly night marathon. I agree to use a light after dark. I will not litter. I will not kill snakes....Knowing everything in this waiver has not deterred me from entering this event and my signature below indicates that I have read and agree to all this stuff and still intend to participate. I also promise to have fun.

Mary here: I think this may be the greatest event waiver (or contract generally) that I've ever read. And I'm a lawyer! My jaw dropped after I read it and then read on the web that the only hazard that they have not *yet* seen is a polecat...I thought "what am I getting into!?"

At least Eric will be with the other spectators at the only aid station drinking beer and eating BBQ while I'm out dodging poisonous snakes and large mountain cats in the dark!

If you're wondering, and think the course sounds like fun (no more than a mile of flat in each 10-mile loop...), feel free to join me! It's the Boogie Marathon, in Ellerbe, North Carolina. June 13, 2009 at 6pm. Packet pickup is at 5, and registration is open until they have 75 participants in the marathon, and about that number in the 50-miler (or May 23, whichever is first). Last year 46 people finished the marathon. MAYBE I'LL PLACE!!! My current marathon time would put me 8th overall in the women's group...and who knows for age group! Maybe it will be my first AG win :) (So there!)

No comments:

Post a Comment